Wider Information about Higher Education
Ashton Sixth Form College is committed to making it easier for students and the wider public to access to information about our Higher Education provision and courses. As part of the Wider Information Set (WIS) requirements as set out by the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE), we have made documents publicly available for students and the wider public. The links below will point you in the direction of information which we hope you will find useful.
The aims of the WIS are to:
- Inform the public about the quality of HE, and in particular, help provide potential students with information that will help them make a choice about what and where to study
- Help provide evidence to contribute to quality assurance processes in institutions (specifically review by the QAA)
- Help provide information that institutions can use to enhance the quality of their HE provision.
There are three categories within the WIS:
• The College Mission statement is available here.
• A Strategic Statement on HE provision can be seen in our Strategic Plan available here.
• Our Quality Assurance Procedures and Policies are listed here and are available on request from Lisa Pagan our Senior Admissions Officer. The College's Vision of Enhancement for Higher Education is available here.
Franchise provision – academic regulations which govern the delivery of awards the College delivers on behalf of partner institutions can be found here:
• The Higher Education Teaching, Learning and Assessment Policy is available here.
• The College has two university partners who validate our provision, Staffordshire University and the University of Salford. The programmes that are delivered with each partner, and the benefits for students are outlined in the University Course Guide.
• Our HE Careers and Employability Offer for HE Students is available here.
• Our current University Course Guide is available here.
Detailed information on our University Courses is available here.
• Staffordshire University franchise provision 2014 programme specifications are available below.
- BA (Hons) Education
- Foundation Degree in Early Childhood Studies
- Foundation Degree in Education
- Health Studies
The 2015 specifications are currently being updated and will be available soon.
University of Salford franchise provision programme specifications are available here.
• The results of internal student surveys are available internally on Moodle.
• Information on our links with employers is available here.
• The College offers programmes in partnership with two awarding bodies. Information on our awarding bodies can be found in our University Course Guide and course information packs.
• Our Higher Education Student Engagement Strategy is available here.
• Programme Approval, Monitoring and Review procedures.
• External Examining Procedures.
• Policies for student complaints, appeals and representations.
The above documentation is available internally. It is detailed on the College intranet (moodle) and/or in student handbooks.
• The Higher Education Student Submission document is available here.
• The Higher Education Self Assessment document is available here.
The Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA)
The Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA) has confirmed the quality and standards of provision at Ashton Sixth Form College following its review in October 2014. Click here to read our press release.
The full report is available on the QAA website. Click here.
Click here to read our response to the Higher Education Review by the QAA in October 2014.
Those external to the organisation can request this information by contacting Jo Fletcher-Saxon, Assistant Principal, Higher Education, Skills and International by email on firstname.lastname@example.org giving the reason for the request.