This qualification provides an in-depth understanding of the knowledge and skills required when working directly with children or young people in primary, secondary or special schools.
It covers all aspects of Specialist Support including planning, delivering and reviewing assessment strategies to support learning alongside the teacher.
All students will be placed onto the relevant workshop, which will deliver the underpinning knowledge for your qualification. As well as attending the workshop, you will be supported and assessed in the workplace.
Who is this course for?
Anybody who is working in a role that Support pupil's learning including teaching assistants, learning support assistants and special needs assistants.
Why study an Introduction to Early Years Education and Care?
The college also offers a Foundation Degree in Education (Teaching Assistants) and a Foundation Degree in Early Childhood Studies. These are 5-year programmes delivered at the College part time. On completion of a Foundation Degree, it is possible to then "top up' to gain a full BA (Hons) degree. Progression opportunities very much depend on what other qualifications you have.
Support in the workplace
A designated key person/s from the school is useful to support you by providing policies, guidance on work practices, opportunities to experience a range of activities, to complete witness testimonies and to confirm your competency during general duties in the setting.
How will you be assessed?
You will be assessed by your tutor or assessor using a range of methods. This could include direct observation in the workplace, a portfolio of evidence, written assignments or a task set by your tutor.
- You must hold a Functional Skills qualification at level 2 or a GCSE Grade C or above in English.
- It is recommended that you hold or are Working towards a Functional Skills level 2 or a GCSE grade C or above in maths.
- It is recommended that you hold a Level 2 in Supporting Teaching Learning in Schools qualification.
- You must be in paid or voluntary employment both Supervising and being responsible for children for a minimum of 1 full day per week.
- It is recommended that you have a minimum of 6 weeks experience in a School setting prior to starting the course.
Please contact the Admissions Team by calling 0161 666 8215 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.