This course is perfect if you are serious about a career in the dance industry. You’ll gain performance experience, develop your own choreography throughout the course and analyse choreography, discussions and prepare for essay writing.
If you have a passion for devising your own dances and love performing then an A Level course in Dance is sure to satisfy your technical and artistic needs.
You will have access to the purpose built Performing Arts department facilities; dance studio with sprung floor, performance theatre, practice rooms and equipment. The Performing Arts department is a creative hub and our experienced team with current industry experience holds a wealth of knowledge.
Component 1 Performance and Choreography – 50%
This involves a practical exam with 3 parts; Solo Performance 20 marks Group Performance 20 marks Group Choreography 40 marks You will be assessed on your technical, interpretive and creative skills and your ability to transpose ideas into dance. You will learn and practice the principles of chorography to create a solo and group dance in addition to technique classes to develop your performance skills.
Component 2 Critical Appreciation – 50%
This unit is designed to check your understanding of dance. You will be asked questions on practitioners, Rambert Dance Company and the Independent Contemporary Dance Scene. You will analyse dances looking at the constituent features, subject matters, structures, form, style and genre. You will study a range professional repertoire, considering the significance of dances.
for 2018/19 entry
- Professionally experienced staff including DJs and producers previously worked with Rizzle Kicks, an actor, director and writer, dance choreographer working with Torque Youth and Raptures Youth Dance Companies and a professional cellist
- 150 seat performance theatre, Music practice room and large Dance studio with sprung floor
- Ballet, urban, tap and jazz dance classes
- Acting, singing, dancing and DJ workshops
- College show productions
- Annual New York trip
- Regular theatre trips
- Annual Music Festival
- State of the art sound and audio visual equipment
- Recording studios with cutting edge digital desks
- Mac suites for music composition and technology