Fire-fighters, police officers, soldiers, sailors, air crew, prison officers, civil servants, teachers and nurses - just some of the vital careers in the public services. This one year course offers you the opportunity to develop your knowledge of the public services and prepare you for your career in the uniformed public services.
Public Service Skills: You will develop an understanding of these skills and explore teamwork and communication via hands-on activities, enabling you to meet the needs of public expectations.
Career Planning and Employment in the Public Services: These units look at future careers and how you can give yourself the best chance of gaining employment.
Land Navigation: You will acquire knowledge in relation to land navigation with map, compass and route card, demonstrating these practically in a safe manner.
Driving and the Public Services: You will develop a knowledge of pre- and post-test driving and an understanding of emergency services and accident prevention, as well as identifying traffic offences and driver attitude.
Improving Health and Fitness for Entry to the Uniformed Public Services: You will gain a knowledge of the major body systems and an understanding of the effects of basic nutrition and lifestyle factors for entry into the uniformed public services. It also develops your skills in fitness tests and improving personal health.
- 5+ acres of outdoor sports fields
- Dedicated multi-purpose Sports Hall
- Multi-functioning pitches
- Guest speakers from Emergency Services including Greater Manchester Police and employers Active Tameside and Personal Trainers
- Visiting talks from the Armed Forces
- Home to the only Police Cadet Force in the North West
- Volunteering opportunities for all Public Services students
- College sports teams
- Enrichment including First Aid (HeartStart – RAF)
- 5 day Army residential
- Regular trips and visits to local gyms, sporting stadiums and the Imperial War Museum
- Policing and Criminal Investigation taster day at Staffordshire University
This course provides you with the opportunity to progress on to a full-time level 3 course at Ashton Sixth Form College, including the full-time level 3 course in Public Services.