Incredible Experience for Students over the Summer
18 August 2017
Ashton Sixth Form College students have been busy over the summer ‘break’. Taking advantage of the college’s outstanding links with business and universities, many students have undertaken unrivalled opportunities and experiences, including work placements, summer schools and much more!
- ASFC and... Ernst and Young LLP
- Four students at Ashton Sixth Form College were awarded a paid work placement position at Ernst and Young LLP, one of the largest professional services firms in the world.
- Following a talk arranged by the college's Guidance department, students applied to join the highly competitive 'Smart Futures' programme at Ernst and Young LLP and were selected amongst many for the opportunity.
- The programme allows students to network with other aspiring professionals and established workers in the industry. In group workshops, students worked collaboratively to design and propose solutions to genuine, real-world problems. Following this preparation and skills-based learning, students then experienced the world of business through a hands-on work placement.
- The opportunities students receive on such a placement will set them apart when progressing on to a business pathway in the future. Experiences at global companies such as Ernst and Young, are highly competitive and very rare.
- ASFC and... Oxford University
- This summer, 11 Ashton Sixth Form College students joined a cohort of 100 participants from across the UK, India and the US at ‘Access Week’, an annual five-day residential at Pembroke College, Oxford. The students were divided across 4 summer schools: Humanities, Theology and Religious Studies, Science, and the 'Ordered Universe'.
- Our students rose to Access Week’s considerable intellectual challenges admirably, with two of our students receiving prestigious awards: Joseph Jones, awarded the Exhibitioner prize for the Ordered Universe summer school, and Ramin Sharafudin, who received a special mention for outstanding work in Theology and Religious Studies.
- ASFC and... Addleshaw Goddard LLP
- Ashton Sixth Form College has partnered with Addleshaw Goddard, once again, to provide two weeks of outstanding legal experience to those students who want to progress on to a career in law.
- Each year many of Ashton Sixth Form College’s students aim to begin a career within the legal profession, with around 50 students progressing on to a law degree. The college’s annual partnership with Addleshaw Goddard is key to strengthening applications to higher education, training and employment. Students gain an insight into the law profession, allowing them to compare their preconceptions of a legal career with the realities of the day-to-day profession, and to think about the prospect of specialising in a certain aspect of law.
- This summer, students have been spending a second week visiting the in-house legal departments at five leading businesses within Manchester City Centre. Previous businesses have included ITV and Manchester United. The opportunities that the Addleshaw Goddard programme offers are outstanding.
- Hazel Kindley, Guidance Manager, said: “Last year, eight of our students were able to benefit from this fantastic opportunity and we are thrilled to continue our partnership with Addleshaw Goddard and once again provide our students with the very best opportunities within their chosen field.”
- ASFC and... Arts Emergency
- Twelve Ashton Sixth Form College students have taken part in a mentoring programme with Arts Emergency, an arts charity based in London. This partnership with Ashton Sixth Form College marks Arts Emergency’s pilot project expanding into another area of the UK, and has been a great success!
- Students have been mentored by professionals in the arts and culture sector, including in writing & publishing, architecture, academia, photography, art, media, and the performing arts, towards their personal and professional goals
- Additional opportunities have included the chance to go backstage during the filming of BBC show Peaky Blinders, touring the facilities and speaking with the crew about the fantastic range of skills required to create high-quality drama
- Over the summer, a number of mentees have also taken advantage of incredible work experience opportunities, with students working at a publishers, a literature festival, a gallery, and on TV, among others
- ASFC and... Tameside Hospital
- Our aspiring medics have also been busy in their holidays, undertaking medical work experience placements at local hospitals. This experience is a vital part of making a successful application for a degree in Medicine. ASFC are thrilled to be able to work with our partners, such as Tameside Hospital, to arrange these opportunities on behalf of our students.