This course develops your knowledge of the uniformed public services and prepares you for a career within the sector. You’ll explore government, policies, leadership, diversity, war and conflict, physical fitness and behaviours in the public sector.
You will be expected to complete work experience or volunteering during your time with us – this could be in the form of taster sessions with the Fire Service, Public Order training with the Police or with a local charity. Throughout the course you will cover a range of topics.
You will gain a broad understanding of UK Government policies and the democratic election process and how these impact the public services.
You will explore leadership, teamwork and communication within the public services, along with an awareness of rights, responsibilities and respect for different religious, ethnic and national groups.
You will also look at training methods and principals of fitness that are important to the public services.
- Work placement opportunities
- 5+ acres of outdoor sports fields
- Dedicated multi-purpose Sports Hall
- Multi-functioning pitches
- Guest speakers from Emergency Services including Greater Manchester Police and employers Active Tameside and Personal Trainers
- Visiting talks from the Armed Forces
- Home to the only Police Cadet Force in the North West
- Volunteering opportunities for all Public Services students
- College sports teams
- Enrichment including First Aid (HeartStart – RAF)
- 5 day Army residential
- Regular trips and visits to local gyms, sporting stadiums and the Imperial War Museum
- Policing and Criminal Investigation taster day at Staffordshire University
Our past students studying this course have gone on to:
Policing and Investigation at The University of Huddersfield
Criminology at Manchester Metropolitan University
Policing Studies at Liverpool John Moores University
British Army - Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers
Law with Criminology LLB (Hons) at The University of Huddersfield
Royal Navy - Royal Marine Commando