This course develops your knowledge of the uniformed public services and prepares you for a career within the sector. You’ll explore government, policies, leadership, diversity, war and conflict, physical fitness and behaviours in the public sector.
You will be expected to complete work experience or volunteering during your time with us – this could be in the form of taster sessions with the Fire Service, Public Order training with the Police or with a local charity. Throughout the course you will cover a range of topics.
You will gain a broad understanding of UK Government policies and the democratic election process and how these impact the public services.
You will explore leadership, teamwork and communication within the public services, along with an awareness of rights, responsibilities and respect for different religious, ethnic and national groups.
You will also look at training methods and principals of fitness that are important to the public services.
Course specific entry requirements
- Work placement opportunities
- 5+ acres of outdoor sports fields
- Dedicated multi-purpose Sports Hall
- Multi-functioning pitches
- Guest speakers from Emergency Services including Greater Manchester Police and employers Active Tameside and Personal Trainers
- Visiting talks from the Armed Forces
- Home to the only Police Cadet Force in the North West
- Volunteering opportunities for all Public Services students
- College sports teams
- Enrichment including First Aid (HeartStart – RAF)
- 5 day Army residential
- Regular trips and visits to local gyms, sporting stadiums and the Imperial War Museum
- Policing and Criminal Investigation taster day at Staffordshire University
This course provides you with the opportunity to progress on to Higher Education, employment or further training. Our students have progressed to:
Policing and Criminal Investigation at the University of Central Lancashire
Law with Criminology at the University of Salford
Criminology and Sociology at Manchester Metropolitan University
Aviation Operations with Commercial Pilot Training at Kingston University
Sports Management at Manchester Metropolitan University
Fire and Leadership Studies at the University of Central Lancashire
Employment as a Medic with the Royal Navy
Employment as an Administrator with the NHS Trust
Employment as an Air & Space Operations Specialist with the Royal Air Force
Employment with Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service
And this year, 5 of our Public Services students have secured apprenticeships with Greater Manchester Police.