On this full time vocational course you will gain the knowledge and understanding to progress in the public sector, from government and policies to leadership and teamwork to conflict and behaviour.
Throughout this course you will have the opportunity to develop your knowledge of the uniformed public services and prepare you for your career in this area. You will explore government, policies, leadership, diversity, war and conflict, physical fitness and behaviours in the public sector.
You will also be expected to complete work experience during your time with us – this could be in the form of taster sessions with the Fire Service or Public Order training with the Police.
Government, Policies and the Public Services
This unit enables you to develop your knowledge and understanding of the UK government policies and the democratic election process. It also enables you to demonstrate the process of developing government policies and how these policies influence the public services.
Leadership and Teamwork in the Public Services
You will develop a knowledge of leadership style and an understanding of teams and teamwork activities within the public services. You will also gain the skills needed to communicate with, and lead, teams.
Citizenship, Diversity and the Public Services
The aim of this unit is to provide you with knowledge, skills, attitudes and values to become thoughtful and informed citizens and public service employees. The unit is designed to develop an awareness of rights and responsibilities and respect for different religious, ethnic and national groups within UK society.
Physical Preparation and Fitness Testing
These two units look at different training methods and the principles of fitness. You will complete a number of fitness tests and be required to undertake a six training programme.
- Work placement opportunities
- 5+ acres of outdoor sports fields
- Dedicated multi-purpose Sports Hall
- Multi-functioning pitches
- Guest speakers from Emergency Services including Greater Manchester Police and employers Active Tameside and Personal Trainers
- Visiting talks from the Armed Forces
- Home to the only Police Cadet Force in the North West
- Volunteering opportunities for all Public Services students
- College sports teams
- Enrichment including First Aid (HeartStart – RAF)
- 5 day Army residential
- Regular trips and visits to local gyms, sporting stadiums and the Imperial War Museum
- Policing and Criminal Investigation taster day at Staffordshire University