**New funding available for Level 2 courses** 

If you are a Greater Manchester Resident and don’t already hold a qualification equivalent to 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (C) or above, your course will be FREE.


Advanced Learner Loans

You may qualify for an Advanced Learner Loan. These loans help you to pay the fees charged by colleges and training organisations. Most learners aged 19 and over, studying at Level 3 to 6, will qualify for these loans from the UK government. It’s easy to apply, your household income isn’t taken into account and there’s no credit check. You won’t have to pay anything back until your income is over £26,575 a year.

Key facts

Read this along with further information you can find at the National Careers Service website. You can also get more information from our HE Admissions Department on 0161 6668215.

Do I qualify?

To qualify you must be:

  • aged 19 or over at the start of your course. 
  • living in the UK on the first day of your course and have lived in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for three years immediately before this.
  • studying with a college or training organisation in England approved for public funding
  • enrolling on an eligible course at Level 3 to 6 which includes A levels, Access to HE Diplomas and other Vocational Qualifications.

These loans do not cover Degrees or other forms of Higher Education (HE). For information on funding for HE go to gov.uk/student-finance 

Applying is easy

Apply online or download an application form at gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan

Making the right choice

It’s important you consider your own circumstances and look into all options for paying for your course before choosing to take out a loan.

If you are aged 19-23, you may be entitled to full funding of your course if you have not already achieved a full Level 3 qualification. 

If you want advice on managing your finances you can get impartial money advice from the Money Advice Service at moneyadviceservice.org.uk

How much can I get?

The amount you can get depends on your course, the fees charged by your college or training organisation and maximum amounts set by the government.

The minimum loan amount is £300.

You can take out a loan for the maximum amount to cover your fee or you can pay all or part of the fee yourself.

Course fees

The fee for your course will be set by your college or training organisation. We will confirm the cost and the amount that can be covered by a loan before you enrol.

How’s the loan paid?

Student Finance England will pay your agreed loan to your college or training organisation once they’ve confirmed you’ve registered on your course.


Repaying your Advanced Learner Loan is straightforward. You will start repaying your loan in April after you complete or leave your course. 

  • your monthly repayments will be based on your income, not what you borrowed or the number of student loans you have. 
  • you’ll repay 9% of your income above the £26,575 annual threshold even if you don't earn £26,575 a year but exceed the threshold of £511 a week or £2,214 a month at any point in the year (e.g. if you work overtime) then a loan deduction will be made.

    Example repayment amounts:
Income each year Monthly income Monthly repayment
Up to £26,575 £2,214 £0
£27,000 £2,250 £2
£29,500 £2,458 £21
£31,000 £2,583 £33
£33,000 £2,750 £48
£35,000 £2,917 £63


You can make voluntary repayments at any time in order to pay off your loan more quickly.


Some of the interest on your loan will be based on inflation (Retail Price Index (RPI)) 

Find out more

Degree Courses

Students may apply for a tuition fee loan, and a maintenance loan for eligible courses. information can be found at:


To find out more about Student Finance, you can click this video.

Learner Support Fund

The college has a support fund to enable students who have been identified as experiencing the greatest need for financial support to remain in education and thereby improve their choices in life.

For Support Fund Details click here. 

Adult Skills Admissions Policy and Procedure

HE Admissions Policy and Procedure 

Please call the HE and Skills Admissions Team on 0161 666 8215 for more information.