Oxbridge success for five outstanding students
This year, five outstanding students from Ashton Sixth Form College have received offers to study at prestigious Oxbridge institutions, Oxford University and Cambridge University.
Those students with offers to study at Oxford or Cambridge University are part of the XL programme at Ashton Sixth Form College. Students on the Ashton XL programme are pushed to achieve beyond their ability and successfully reach their goals. Through specialised tutor groups and personalised support programmes, XL students’ progress on to some of the most competitive programmes across the country.
- Alice Jackson has been offered a place at Oxford University to study Biological Sciences. At Ashton Sixth Form College she studies Biology, Geography and English Language, having previously studies at St. Damian RC Science College.
- Christian Maddox has been offered a place to study Chemistry at Oxford University. He studies Chemistry, Physics and Maths at Ashton Sixth Form College and studied previously at Saddleworth School.
- Daniel Tilbrook has been offered a place at Cambridge University study Natural Sciences following his studies at the college in Biology, Chemistry and Physics. He began his education at West Hill School.
- Elleanor Marland has been offered a place to study Politics, Philosophy and Economics at Oxford University. She studies Politics, English Literature and Maths at Ashton Sixth Form College, previously studying at Denton Community College.
- Niamh Connaghan has been offered a place to study Biological Sciences at Oxford University. She studies Biology, Chemistry and French at Ashton Sixth Form College, beginning her education at St. Damian’s RC Science College.
During the XL programme these students had access to an entire host of opportunities. From Cambridge Physics experience days to Shadowing Schemes to Oxbridge Conferences, students have also experienced Corpus Christi Masterclasses, Open Days, and Summer Schools.
Leading up to the interviews, students attended the Dedicated Oxbridge Application Day, Dedicated Oxbridge Personal Statement Day, Oxbridge entrance exam preparation as well as various rounds of mock interviews - getting increasingly harder with visiting interviewers and the Oxbridge Edge consultant visited for interview techniques. The college aims to provide students with all of the resources, support and confidence to accomplish arguably some of the most competitive application and interview stages in the world.
Damian Windle, XL Manager, is extremely proud of the students,
Congratulations to the five successful students! Ashton XL students continue to go from strength to strength and the hard work and determination that they have demonstrated means it is thoroughly deserved. This dedication combined with the outstanding teaching and mentoring they have received, is what makes the college such an exciting and vibrant place to learn.
Each year, the college sees students’ progress further and further, receiving offers from some of the most incredible universities in the world. 3 out of the 5 students to receive such offers come from families that have never been to university before. Cambridge University and Oxford University are ranked 1st and 2nd, respectively, in the Complete University Guide Rankings 2018.
Principal Anton McGrath said,
We are very proud of all our students who have successfully secured places at both Oxford and Cambridge this year. Success in application for Oxbridge is an outstanding achievement and testament to each student's ability, determination and motivation to succeed. The current crop will join a growing number of former Ashton Sixth Form students at both Oxford and Cambridge and clearly demonstrates the support we offer all of our students to reach their potential and aim high. We wish them all the best in their future studies.