National Apprenticeship Week 2023 roundup
Last week was National Apprenticeship Week 2023. Here at Ashton Sixth Form College we had a vast range of activities happening throughout college. Our Employer Engagement and Partnerships Officer, Janet Valentine arranged a week full opportunities for students.
We had a range of employers in our careers department throughout the week. Students were able to meet with the employers and discuss potential apprenticeship opportunities:
- AJ Bell - Investment and stockbroker services
- Balfour Beatty - Infrastructure company
- Greater Manchester Imaging and Pathology Networks - NHS
Apprenticeship providers also visited us:
- Oldham Training Centre - offering a range of trade and business apprenticeships.
- The Apprentice Academy - offering a range of apprenticeships in fields such as, management, accounting/finance and data analyst.
We had a variety of guest speakers throughout the week:
- Stamford Park Trust. The Marketing officer from our own Trust and ASFC alumni, Jess Bulman, delivered a talk to first year tutor groups about her own experience from college to apprenticeship and into her career.
- CISCO, Technology group. ASFC alumni Nabilah Rahman and her colleague Rachel Warburton delivered a talk to first year students. They discussed the apprenticeships they offer in software, IT and management.
- Haines Watts, Accountancy firm. Four ASFC alumni delivered a talk to tutor groups about their experience from college, securing their apprenticeships and what it is like working and training at the company.
- BDO, Accountancy firm. Alumni Josh Hill delivered a talk to first year students about his apprenticeship experience.
- BT UX - Will Jackson, ASFC alumni also delivered a talk about his apprenticeship experience.
Multiple days throughout the week we also had employees from Rotary International conducting mock interviews with students. Mock interviews ensure students are prepared for future interviews they may have.
The week's activities was a great success, with many students taking advantage of the opportunities available to them. It was also brilliant to have Ashton Sixth Form College alumni visit us and talk to our students about their journeys post college.