60% of students achieved high grades (A*-B).
A combination of English Language and Literature give you a broad understanding way a text is written and how to analyse and respond to it. Modules include Voices in Speech and Writing, and Varieties in Language and Literature.
Modules include Voices in 'Speech and Writing' and 'Varieties in Language and Literature'.
Voices in Speech and Writing: This component has an explicit focus on the concept of ‘voice’. You will study how spoken voices are formed and how written voices created in non-literary and digital texts. You will study how texts are formed for specific audiences, purposes and genres and learn how to craft their written work for a range of contexts. In the second year you will be studying a play (“All My Sons”) by the American writer Arthur Miller.
Varieties in Language and Literature: This component focuses on the ways in which different writers convey their thoughts or ideas towards a theme in literary texts. Teaching and wider reading will develop your understanding of how writers use language techniques and literary devices to craft their pieces and communicate ideas or issues. You will study Stoker’s Dracula and the poetry of Christina Rossetti in this unit.
Course specific entry requirements
- Modern, specialist language rooms
- Trips to China, France and Spain
- Theatre visits including The Crucible and foreign language cinema
- Visiting speakers from universities, including renowned linguists, writers and former students
- Only college outside London to work with Arts Emergency - a charity providing students with access to Arts and Humanities professionals
- Enrichment including Creative Writing, Japanese Language and Culture, Italian
- University visits to Manchester and Huddersfield
- Support and extension classes
- External examiners are part of the team who pass on their expertise
This course provides you with the opportunity to progress on to Higher Education, employment or further training. Our students have progressed to:
English at Manchester Metropolitan University
English with Creative Writing at Leeds Beckett University
Theology and Religion at Durham University
Journalism at Leeds Beckett University
English Literature with English Language at the University of Salford
Journalism at City University