Drama & Theatre is a practical and challenging course, which covers each aspect of theatre production. You’ll analyse everything from acting and costume, through to lighting, effects, setting, characterisation and interpretation.
You will have access to the purpose built Performing Arts department facilities; performance theatre, practice rooms, music recording studio, dance studio, and equipment. The Performing Arts department is a creative hub and our experienced team with current industry experience holds a wealth of knowledge.
Component 1 Devising Performance and Portfolio
You will be able to let the creative juices flow and enter a world of imagination, as you devise an original piece of theatre, developed from a stimulus. Along with developing an Actors Journal, to document the process that you have gone through to achieve your own performance.
Component 2 Text in Performance
During this component you will be studying two play texts to later perform extracts, one Group Performance and one Monologue or Duologue. Giving you a taste of performing on stage, in front of a live audience, two completely different forms of play looking at various theatre practitioners and how they shaped the theatrical world that we know today.
Component 3 Theatre Makers in Practice
During component 3 you will be assessed in three areas; 1. Evaluating a live theatre performance. 2. Page to stage, how you would as a theatre maker put on a show; how you would direct it, which practitioner you would be influenced by. It allows you to have complete creative control of how you would stage a performance. 3. Interpreting a performance text, this is where we delve into the history of the theatre and discover new and re-imagined ways of putting on classical theatrical texts for a modern day audience. Highlighting the conditions they would have originally been performed in.
Course specific entry requirements
- Professionally experienced staff including DJs and producers previously worked with Rizzle Kicks, an actor, director and writer, dance choreographer working with Torque Youth and Raptures Youth Dance Companies and a professional cellist
- 150 seat performance theatre, Music practice room and large Dance studio with sprung floor
- State of the art sound and audio visual equipment
- Recording studios with cutting edge digital desks
- Mac suites for music composition and technology
- Annual New York trip
- Annual Music Festival
- Regular theatre trips
- Acting, singing, dancing and DJ workshops
- College show productions
- Ballet, urban, tap and jazz dance classes